Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Quick thought

I have just had a visit from the phlebotomist (the professional blood takers of the medical world) as I need my 'bloods done' because I'm having a transfusion on Sunday in the hope that I may feel a bit more energised. Anyway I digress, she asked me a question in the course of our general chit chat undertaken, as she undertook to find a vein. It was a question I have been asked many times before and usually by people who are, like her, relative strangers, but often somehow linked to the medical world. After asking me a bit about my condition, and having realised that I was in the 'going to cark it' basket she said;
"and how does your family feel about this" I ask you ? What sort of a question is this? What is one supposed to say "oh well they have all hated me for years, and I think they are quite chuffed actually, and naturally the kids are thrilled to be getting their hands on a bit of inheritance money much earlier than they had anticipated" or perhaps " well its completely fucked up their lives, my mother is on the verge of a nervous breakdown, my father has been rendered speechless, my partner is talking about coming with me and my children have failed every exam for the past four years, and are in constant therapy"Hells bells Why ask me how they feel? As if I don't feel shitty enough, lets rub it in that I'm making my entire family feel shitty as well. So there we have it, tip 1. -
Don't ask a terminally ill person how their family feels about it!
Tip 1.1 And obviously, don't ask them how they feel about it! How do you think they feel you goose!

No comments: